Melody Notation Drill
You will hear a tonicization followed by seven notes. Click on the staff to add the notes you hear. You may switch levels and change the length of the melody by using the drop-down menus.
tips -- high scores -- comments
When you're indentifying multiple notes at a time, you have to think about memorizing the fragments of melody you hear. If you're just starting out, at first it may be useful to try:
- Play tonic again, and sing a scale.
- Play the notes again, and sing them out loud until your sure you know them.
- Then figure out the first note by singing up the scale from tonic until you reach it. Using the key signature, figure out what note this is and add it to the staff.
- Repeat this for the rest of the notes.
In order to gain speed, however, once you've mastered the system above, it's important to:
- Try to identify the notes you hear as you're listing, by their feel without directly comparing them to tonic.
- Practice doing this without singing or humming -- just by how it feels in your mind!
- Notice if there are particular scale degrees you have trouble identifying -- such as, say 6 and 4. Sing those notes and notice how they feel in your voice; use this to start to recognize the feel of the more 'difficult' scale degrees.
At the most advanced levels:
- Try and memorize a string of solfege/scale-degree numbers as you hear the melody for the first time. Treat it as though someone were saying a phone number to you and you had to remember it in one hearing. With practice you will be able to take down even the most random and lengthy melodies on just one hearing this way.
- Don't sing it out loud!
Melody Dictation High Scores
|t@c0b311 ||2012-09-20 ||98% ||8 ||10558 |
|caseyfischer ||2011-12-29 ||97% ||8 ||10506 |
|pt1992 ||2013-07-20 ||100% ||6 ||10000 |
|slux2 ||2013-05-01 ||100% ||6 ||10000 |
|MaTo ||2013-03-25 ||100% ||6 ||10000 |
|Isaac Mullet ||2013-03-12 ||100% ||6 ||10000 |
|jonathanj ||2013-02-25 ||100% ||6 ||10000 |
|Zachary Mullet ||2013-02-21 ||100% ||6 ||10000 |
|David ||2013-01-01 ||100% ||6 ||10000 |
|lynchr ||2012-10-07 ||100% ||6 ||10000 |
Please login at left to post to the guestbook.
|On 2013-11-11 at 16:26:03, smaligom wrote:
|Why doesn't the speed setting work? |
|On 2013-05-24 at 20:30:35, RayLi wrote:
|Gotcha...Oh hey guys, I was just playing hide-and-go-seek with my pal David. |
|On 2012-09-26 at 20:13:32, michelle23 wrote:
|On 2012-02-27 at 17:45:50, 319281 wrote:
|anyone want to join my class. good job students! |
|On 2012-01-15 at 18:55:17, caseyfischer wrote:
|Hey you should make a new exercise, or at least a setting on an old exercise, where there's no tonicization, so people can get practice at identifying the root note given a series of notes in the key. |
|On 2012-01-01 at 17:53:56, caseyfischer wrote:
|So... I may have broken the high scores somehow. My bad? |
|On 2011-11-17 at 17:07:48, Tubaboy wrote:
|i have test today i think this will work |
|On 2011-05-16 at 14:42:44, timallen wrote:
|You know what.. I think your right, i need to clean up my life and make something outta the little time i have left on this world. Imma go and pick back up herion dealing again :) |
|On 2011-05-16 at 14:39:58, Joshvillarreal123 wrote:
|oh come on tim dont be such a downer i mean sured your a completely messed up individual who sucks in every movie and show he has ever been in and the only hope of the country he lives in is that one day a navy seals team will drop into your house and shoot you in the head while you coware behind your wife you cowardly fool you |
|On 2011-05-16 at 14:37:38, dylanklein93 wrote:
|Tim Allen would take great offense to this.... LEAVE TIM ALLEN ALONE!!!!! |
|On 2011-05-16 at 14:35:06, timallen wrote:
|Thats understandable... Im rootin for the bullet tho. |
I tired of living this simple life of week old pizzas and asian whores that never show me any love..
|On 2011-05-16 at 14:31:39, Joshvillarreal123 wrote:
|Ok il be rootin' for you tim, while of course about 90% of the world population will be rootin' for the bullet. :) |
|On 2011-05-16 at 14:28:51, timallen wrote:
|*sigh* If only there was a way to find out right now hmmm.. |
Wait! I know! Ill do a game of russian roulette with 5 bullets by myself and let fate decide! :D
|On 2011-05-16 at 14:26:22, Joshvillarreal123 wrote:
|I know Tim ive been in the same boat as you, just keep going and eventually there will be light in the murky waters that we refer to as the universe itself... Or maybe there wont be and you will die a very misberable death, only time will tell, as cruel as that sounds.. only time will tell... |